What is CANASA?
CANASA (mesalamine) 1000 mg rectal suppository Is a prescription medicine used to treat active ulcerative proctitis (ulcerative rectal colitis).
It is not known if CANASA is safe and effective for use for longer than 6 weeks. It is not known if CANASA is safe and effective in children.
IMPORTANT RISK INFORMATION
Who should not use CANASA?
Do not use CANASA if you are allergic to medicines that contain salicylates, including aspirin, or if you are allergic to mesalamine or any of the ingredients in CANASA.
What should I tell my doctor before taking CANASA?
Before using CANASA, tell your doctor if you:
- Have a history of allergic reaction to the medicine sulfasalazine (Azulfidine)
- Have kidney problems
- Have ever had inflammation of the sac around your heart (pericarditis)
- Have any other medical condition
- Are pregnant or plan to become pregnant. It is not known if CANASA can harm your unborn baby.
- Are breastfeeding or plan to breastfeed. CANASA can pass into your milk.
Tell your doctor about all the medicines you take, including prescription and non-prescription medicines, vitamins, and herbal supplements.
What are the possible side effects of CANASA?
CANASA may cause serious side effects, including:
- Allergic type reactions, which can include sudden symptoms called "Acute intolerance syndrome."
When this happens, it is usually in people who have had an allergic reaction to sulfasalazine. Stop using CANASA and
tell your doctor right away if you get any of these symptoms: cramps, stomach (abdominal) pain, bloody diarrhea, fever,
- Inflammation of the sac around the heart. Tell your doctor right away if you get chest pain or shortness of breath.
The most common side effects of CANASA include: dizziness, acne, colitis (inflammation of the colon), rectal pain
(pain in the final portion of the large intestine), fever, and rash.
Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-FDA-1088.
Please also see the Patient Information within the full
Allergan® and its design are trademarks of Allergan, Inc.
CANASA® is a registered trademark of Aptalis Pharma US, Inc., an Allergan affiliate.
© 2016 Allergan. All rights reserved. CAN41968 02/16
The product information provided in this site is intended only for residents of the United States.
The products discussed on this site may have different product labeling outside of the United States.
The health information described in this site is provided for educational purposes only and
is not intended to substitute discussions with a healthcare provider.